Balkan Investigative Regional Reporting Network – BIRN Hub
Rare and sought-after opportunity to join the flagship media portal in English reporting on the Balkans from the Balkans, as an Editor with native proficiency in the Albanian language, who will contribute to regional BIRN’s daily media output Balkan Insight (www.balkaninsight.com), as well as other BIRN’s publications in both English and local languages.
Regional BIRN Hub, based in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, is looking for an Albanian speaking area editor, also fluent in English, with excellent writing and editing skills, who also has a solid understanding of the current affairs and the media scene in the Central and South-East Europe. The position holder will work closely with the editorial team to ensure the quality and offering of new content remains strong.
Location: Central and South-East Europe
Job Function: Regional Editor for the Albanian Language
Experience Level: seven years
Working Languages: Albanian/English
Application Deadline: June 13th, 2020
The selected candidate will be engaged for a probation period of three months.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Editorial oversight of BIRN online publications in English balkaninsight.com and local languages (Albanian) under the programme(s) for which the incumbent was engaged;
- Managing editorial teams consisted of personnel working within the programme(s) for which the incumbent was engaged. Editorial teams are located in the following countries: Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro and North Macedonia.
- Working with BIRN’s pool of journalists across the region, in cooperation with the Managing Editor and/or manager(s) of respected programme(s);
- Contributing to commissioning and editing news stories and analytical content
- On the job training of journalists involved in production of editorial content, primarily within media outlets in Albanian language;
- Commissioning and overseeing investigations within the particular online publication(s) within the respected programme(s);
- Maintaining and developing relevant sub-website(s) within the respected programme(s), including operating in word and image processing web platform(s) (CMS, WP, etc.), as well as web development and promotion of content;
- Actively working on development of projects and publications: research, analysis and reporting for internet, print, radio and TV publications;
- Occasionally translating and editing content from BIRN local websites to English language content for balkaninsight.com
- Developing new ideas and topics, contributing to Balkan Insight editorial output and other BIRN publications.
- +7 years of editorial experience
- Familiarity with digital content production and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Speed and efficiency in managing and sub editing copy
- Ability to write compelling headlines and leads
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to rigorously enforce style expectations
- Has a solid understanding of media laws
- Has a profound understanding of the Central and South-East Europe, particularly Albanian speaking area
- Understands analytics and digital readership to help curate the site
- Native proficiency in the Albanian language
- Fluent in English
Please submit a detailed CV, a letter of motivation (no more than 1 page), examples of their work, proof for all stated skills and list of three professional references by e-mail to Nikola Čače, email@example.com, no later than June 13th 2020. Only the shortlisted candidates will be informed on the results of vacancy and invited to the interview. The selected candidate should start work as soon as possible.
Balkan Insight is published by the Sarajevo-based regional hub of the Balkan Investigative Reporting Network (BIRN). Balkan Insight is a network of correspondents based in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine.
BalkanInsight.com, one of 15 sites in different languages that BIRN runs, is read in more than 200 countries worldwide.
BIRN Hub is a nongovernmental organisation, a part of the Regional BIRN Network, working on in the field of media development, promoting freedom of speech, human rights and democratic values in Southern and Eastern Europe. BIRN has local organisations in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Romania and Serbia, while the Network is editorially also present in Greece, Bulgaria, Croatia, Moldova, Montenegro, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia. More information at www.birn.eu.com.
BIRN encourages applicants of both genders, and offers an equal chance to all interested persons, without any prejudice based on any grounds.